Sunday, June 12, 2011

Leftward Leaning

English cyclists and Pedestrians beware. I have begun driving in the UK. It was all white knuckles yesterday (mine AND Paul's). Today I settled in and drove an hour to RAF Lakenheath. It turns out the roundabouts aren't the hardest part- it's remembering that the bulk of your car is now to the left of you. I've come crazy-close, Paul reports, to snapping off a few side view mirrors on parked cars. Fine by me, I'm just worried I'm going to take out one of the gazillions of cyclists they have here. I do think I deserve some merit pay for learning to navigate the roads in an American minivan (a loaner for now), among the very widest cars you'll see on the road here. Harrumph...

Today's first- we dined on duck eggs this morning- instead of the hen-produced variety, a gift from a farmer, a friend of a friend of a friend, who we learned last night has enough ducks on his farm to produce 10,000 eggs a day (he also has a moat around his house but that's another story). The eggs were delicious, a bit bigger than hen eggs, more yolk, which give the exterior a bit of a pink hue. The shells are thinner so they cook faster, and, I'm told, make cakes and meringues super light.

It's a rainy Sunday, so after Mario Andretti here explored the streets, we retreated to our flat for tea and cookies and a little play dough action. And the rain pours on, to the great-delight of all the dry English gardens (there's a drought underway).

No comments: